Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Something's gotta give

Things like this make me seriously wonder what health care will be like when I'm practicing in a few short years. I haven't really been keeping up with everything going on in health care, but the general gist is that it's a bad situation for everyone involved -patients don't have enough access to docs, docs don't get paid enough, beauracracy doesn't want to pay, etc. I don't think there are any easy fixes. Nevertheless, It's probably a better idea for me to focus on neuroscience right now, instead of theorizing and pontificating about healthcare's ills. I'd really like to look more into it, and move ahead in my medical training with a greater understanding of the nuances surrounding my field, much less those within it. Certainly, I'm going to have to arm myself with a firm understanding of the politics of medicine before I get there - it sounds like many docs today are sheep among the wolves of the money-holders. Money isn't everything, but this is America. I could go on about how I feel that a lot of problems we see today are manifestations of the dark side of the principles upon which America was founded - polarization of the goals of competition and individuality and all that, but I digress.
I have an interesting theory concerning some of Jesus' healings. The blind were made to see, the lame were made to walk, the dead were raised - pretty clear cut. But what about the people who had demons? Some of those afflictions looked remarkably like grand-mal or status epilepticus seizures (Mark 9:14-29). Perhaps Jesus knew what they were, and simply didn't want to explain the neurological reasons to people of 2,000 years ago. Although there is the fact that these demons talked to Jesus (on occassion), and called him by name.

Here's a shot of the Cabrits at dusk. It's fun to play around with the night-time setting, but since the shutter speed is incredibly slow due to the time it takes the lens to gather light, the pictures aren't even clear when I set th camera on a hard surface.

No comments: