Monday, January 14, 2008

The First Day and the Island Tour

This post was begun yesterday - I didn't get the chance to finish it, but I'll still tell it like it is.

Today is the first day of class, yet I shall spare you the gory details (and gory they are indeed - one professor remarked "Biochemistry is a clean science. Unlike anatomy, there are no cadavers, or brains floating in formalin. So we won't have labs.") Much of the beginning few minutes was spent introducing the class to our audience response units, during which time (I'm sure) a few IT guys in a dark, little room somewhere were typing like mad, trying to work out the bugs. They threw us right into a little back anatomy and biochemistry - I think that part of the reason I enjoy medicine is that I enjoy big words: Transversospinalis, etc. It wasn't anything amazing, but then again some joke that "Ross" stands for "Rely On Self Study", so I figure that the meat and bones'll come from the time spent with my nose in a book anyway.

As we were packing our barrels, I forgot one of the coffee makers, so I had to pack it in my checked luggage when we came to Dominica. Big surprise that it got banged around, right? So the actual water container leaked fiercely for a few days (I had to sit it in a pan and keep refilling it with our precious drinkable water - the Pur filters have yet to arrive). Anyway, despite the fact that there are no outlets in my kitchen or bathroom, I was able to fix it with a little of Nicole's clear nail polish. Now I can turn it on from bed!

After that, I went to make sure all of the financial stuff for my loans was all worked out. That's what I get for waiting until the last minute - it's always like that. So my tuition will get paid on time - I guess that's all that matters. Nicole and I hung around for a mindfulness orientation, put on by the associate dean of students. There was a lot of mediation, and it was actually quite relaxing, sitting there on the lower deck by the sea. However, first of all, I didn't learn anything new - it was all the same kind of relaxation I'd done. Second, I probably should have waited until I was actually stressed - when I left, I was so relaxed I was ready to go to sleep. After that and picking up some snacks at Jame's Store Grocery, I squeezed in quick workout - some pushups and dips, and a quick swim in the ocean (since the gym is now unavailable). Then Nicole and I went and studied some anatomy and biochem in this big, emtpy study space down the way. And there was evening and morning, the First Day.

Perhaps far more interesting, though, was Sunday's Island Tour. After the long day before, I didn't particularly want to get up for it, but I figured it was worth a shot, especially before classes got into full swing.We loaded up these little 20 passenger buses, and headed south - our first stop was Trafalgar Falls. Moreso than the Cabrits, this was a serious hike through the rain forest (so of course it was raining). We hiked down and actually climbed over the rocks to get just below the waterfalls and managed to get some excellent pictures. Interestingly, whenever I stop and gasp at some rustle in the leaves, Nicole knows to get out of the way quickly - it's probably some creepy-crawly thing she won't like. It happened all the time in the Cabrits with the galliwasp and even one snake, and in the Trafalgar Falls area, it happened again. I heard the rustle and saw some movement, and pushed her ahead of me so I could get a better look. After a few moments, this fierce little crab popped out, pincers at the ready. I'm enjoying this country more and more!
Before arriving in Dominica, I'd planned to pick up some waterproof sandal-shoes, but just never got around to it. Nicole came with a pair, so, when we both slipped into the springs at the same place, she dried off notably quicker - and I had to slosh back to the bus, wring out my sock, and stuff a rolled up towel into my tennis shoe. Thankfully, the next stop was a tad drier.
We drove down the coast, through the capital city of Roseau, and stopped for lunch at an old, converted sugar mill. I didn't particularly feel that the buffet of chicken, rice, vegetarian ravioli and fruit cups was worth my $35Ec, but it was better than starving. We stopped at a bluff overlooking the capital city, after driving through the botanical gardens. I kind of wish we'd gotten a chance to stop, but I think I've firmly decided that, one day, I will have Century Palm trees in my yard. I found out later that the reason they'd moved the island tour from Saturday to Sunday was because there were several cruise ships docked in Roseau, and the higher ups didn't want to put us through the annoyance of jostling with all of those cruise-goers for the same attractions and facilities. We did surprisingly little there in the capital - it was basically just a lunch stop. At this bluff overlooking the city, (there's also a huge Cricket stadium, donated by China, not seen in the picture). Just behind where I took this picture, there was an ackee tree - I was the only person on the bus (other than the driver) who even knew what one was. A few had burst open on the tree, and I guess someone somewhere right now is enjoying ackee and saltfish.

Next, we made our way to Scott's Head - the place where the Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean Sea meet at the southern tip of Dominica. That little strip of beach was particularly rocky, but some folks decided to swim anyway. We were cautioned to stay on the Caribbean side (there on the left), because the Atlantic currents were a bit stronger. I'd be particularly looking forward to this part of the trip; I'd hoped that the "Caribantic" would be marked by a clear demarcation of the meetings of two significantly different bodies of water. Thus, I made up my mind to hike to the top of the hill and tempt my luck - climbing down past the wall that marked the very top so I could steal some pictures that others might not get. However, I didn't really see much of a difference - I snapped some pictures from the very point where the land ended, but it was all cold, and salty, and blue. Look closely - perhaps you can pick up on something I've missed. So here's the view from the top: not as great as I'd hoped. Waking up this morning, I didn't think that there would be anything that would be better than some of the pictuers yesterday, and I guess I was a little perturbed since I was so tired. After this, we went to the sulfure springs, which weren't that interesting anyway (so I'll spare you the pictures), and then got home after a ten hour excursion. It would have been nice to relax on the final day before classes, but I guess I'm glad I went. Honestly, looking back though, I think I enjoyed the galliwasp and passion fruit a bit more. I think I also enjoyed the previous day more than this one because it was just Nicole and me, hiking through the Cabrits, and the Island tour was a swarm of people. (I'm being social - honest; I'm just also very glad that I can get away from them all).
After getting back from the tour, I waited about an hour for a pizza, and then collapsed into a deep, deep sleep.

No comments: