Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Just another day in paradise



I'd had all of these grandiose plans to write an "insider's guide", encompassing the last days leading up to my departure for the Island, the actual trip from the US to where I was going to live, and the first few days on the island. Well... you know what they say about the best laid plans.... Anyway, I figure I'll throw together a hodgepodge of things (especially the things I can take pictures of). That being the case, one thing anyone should know about Dominica is that the currency is East Caribbean Dollars (EC), and that $1 USD is roughly equal to $2.6 EC. Thus, it would seem like our big, fat American dollars would go much farther here than back home - which they tend to on occassion. However, let me also say that ECs go fast. It doesn't feel like I'm spending that much - "$24 EC? That's like, what - 8 bucks, right?" EC still flies like the wind. Another funny thing, is that these shopkeepers are smart - they'll stock the local products I've never heard of, and right next to it, they'll sell Old Spice deodorant for $22.50 EC a clear stick. I don't know about you, but I'm not used to spending 7 bucks on a stick of deodorant. Tricky.

We spent the morning in more orientation, and then broke up to go to mini orientations. The Foods of Dominica lecture was the most interesting, in part because it was the most novel. A clinical psychologist gave his argument for preventative medical care. It's good advice, but he came across as arguing for preventative care, instead of surgical interventions - dangerous advice.

I'm going to complain a bit - that's kind of what this is for. They're fixing the water downstairs, so last night we were out of cold water - that's right, we only had hot water. So it was too scalding for anything but washcloth wash-down and a tepid rinse from a water jug. You know, this is the Caribbean, and I know I shouldn't complain - but when it's this hot and I'm covered in bug spray and sweat from walking around, I kind of look forward to that shower. Hopefully it'll be better today. Oh, and another thing - I don't have any outlets in my bathroom. So, if I want to use anything other than a cordless shaver, I have to use it on the other side of my room: cutting my hair will be very interesting.


After those little sessions (IT, wellness, library resources, etc), we had our Welcome BBQ. They offered hamburgers, chickenburgers, and veggieburgers - and since they don't really have a huge meat industry on this island, I figured I'd grab what might be my last taste of beef in quite a while. I'd been planning all day to take pictures of the foods of Dominica (a chance I missed at the morning's lecture), but have just decided to push it off until tomorrow - I'll have to ask permission, and we were in a rush anyway. I also want to take some pictures of the people of Dominica, but that may have to wait. The sunset here is fantastic! Here's a picture taken from the end of the hallway on my floor. It's a little surprising to me how few students are running around with their cameras - it's just me and Nicole really. I mean, are these kids used to it already? Maybe they just don't appreciate it as much. Sometimes, sitting in those sessions, I feel like this is freshman year all over again, and I don't like it at all. Perhaps I shouldn't go into this deciding not to like people, but that's just something I need to work on. At least tomorrow's early registration will leave most of the day open for something fun!


No comments: