Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Orientation


A mere formality. I know there's a lot of genuinely useful information, but I honestly feel like these "orientation" things are mere formalities, instituted in part so that the school can feel like they're somewhat organized.

First of all, we're in Ross' Annex. This lovely, bulging structure is about a five minute walk uphill from the actual campus - which would not be a concern, were it not for the fact that it was only supposed to be a four minute walk (not a ten minute stroll). However, I really can't complain; they're running shuttles back and forth.

They started us off yesterday all cheery and happy, with loads of welcomes and well wishes. Then, today, we got down to the nitty gritty: grades and promotions. I'm not concerned, since among MERP alum there's a 0% attrition rate - while the rest of the student body enjoys a 30% rate.

There were, however, some interesting issues raised - we're going to have to start digging up and examining our long-held beliefs on ethics and honor. Seeing as how we're going to be doctors, things are going to have to change with some folks around here. What should be done about cheating colleagues/peers? I feel like most people either don't want to be responsible for ending someone's career or really getting someone in trouble; or they don't want to be seen as a snitch - someone untrustworthy with under-the-table information. Does it surprise you that I'm considering running for the honor council? I'll drop the hammer on 'em!

After that, Nicole and I went out for lunch at Perky's Pizza. Surprisingly we actually managed to get all of our chores taken care of (groceries at Tina's, fruit from Miss Dees). I haven't been eating particularly well, so I'm trying to make sure we get some serious fruit into our diets, and I haven't worked out in a while, so I'm going to try to see if the temporary gym is open today (they were supposed to be finishing up construction on the main gym, but they randomly decided to add a third floor. Now God alone knows when it'll be done).

After lunch, I don't remember much; it must not have been that important. I know there was something about financial aid and student health. Here are a few things I might look into, just because it would be stupid of me to think I'm too smart for help:

1. Peer tutoring - a previous semester's student who has all A's will tutor those of us trudging through a particular subject. This sounds like an excellent idea, because it reminds me of the SI sessions I attended at MERP - nearly all of which were very helpful.

2. Mindfulness - This almost sounds like a guided meditation thing, but focussing and being really intentional when I pay attention in class couldn't possibly be a bad thing. I focus much better when I pay attention - go figure.

Those are just a few of the things I'm considering. This weekend, Nicole and I are going to the Caribantic - the place where the Caribbean sea meets the Atlantic (I'll be sure to take tons of pictures!) . Hopefully it won't be that bad; it's an all-day affair, but I haven't done any tours yet, so it'll be fun.

I'm going to be a doctor. Studying is going to be really interesting. But you know what? I'm all over it.

No comments: