Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Down to Business

I don't think I'll hold your attention unless I throw in pictures, so I'll try to throw in a little something every now and then. Since classes have begun, I won't be able to include the same kind of amazing landscape shots you've grown accustomed to, but I'll do what I can. The accompanying image represents my new best friends - the companions whose company I'll indulge and at times hate, often late into the night. They are my ball and chain, but they are also my lifeline - it's an ambivalent, love-hate parasitism (because they don't really get anything from me). Although, honestly, most of the learning will probably come from notes, anyway. Much of yesterday was spent in a delightful little study space just across the way, going over those notes - especially those of biochemistry and the gross anatomy of the spinal cord.

This morning's lecture in biochem was a little dry - not only did the professor seem to overcomplicate things, he also went out of his way to stab at the Intelligent Design argument. That may be what everyone believes, but I take issue when a theory is passed off as fact. Honestly, the whole argument reminds me of two children arguing in a sandbox - neither of whom have any real proof (But I digress - I probably shouldn't start a rant. Noet yet). Not off to a great start there - I dislike stereochemistry enough as it is. I'll just put my nose to the grindstone and treat it like prison -keep my head down, do my time, and get out.

Anatomy, on the other hand, looks like something I'm just going to love! I read through the backbone stuff yesterday, and it looks like the text goes into much greater detail than the lecture. I'm looking forward to getting my hands dirty. That won't happen until next week, though - this week is all introductory technique and such.

After a lunch of 2 bananas, passion fruit juice, and some seasoned rice, I sat in on another anatomy intro - palpations and terminology (dorsiflexion, ab/adduction, etc). Good stuff; it'll all be relevant when we get to the anatomy lab and the exam room. Unlike biochemistry. After that, there was a cognitive skills discussion - it's all stuff I've heard before, but it was worth sitting in on, because this is definitely the most intense study I've ever done. I need a routine, I need to manage my time better - I'm still getting back on the horse. My difficulty comes when I'd rather study the information I like, instead of what's difficult and dense.

Fine then. Biochem tonight.

No comments: