Thursday, September 17, 2009

USMLE Day 15

The studying's coming along - I've so far gotten through anatomy, histology, and neurology, and am painfully slogging through biochemistry. Damn cycles and enzymes....cycles of enzymes.... I do, however, take solace in the fact that these have been relatively low-yield topics; the Board just doesn't ask as many questions about them as, say pathology or pharmacology. I feel like once again I've sold my soul to something, or what's left of it; Sallie Mae already owns my soul. I guess I need to do well on this to get my soul back from Sallie.

I saw this post on the Yale Daily News, and I feel quite ambivalent. On the one hand, Yale has seen enough violence for a lifetime, with the terrible tragedy of Annie Le, and the court proceedings that I'm sure will drag on for months and months. On the other hand, however, I am elated - that someone can be absolutely frickin' nuts and still get a medical residency at Yale University. Seriously....what does a psych resident (that means that he's working on becoming a psychiatrist, not that he's a resident of a psychiatric facility, as it may seem) need with two shotguns, two assault rifles, and two sniper rifles? While I'm all for the Second Amendment (the original Homeland Security), one sniper rifle should be enough for anyone. This guy couldn't have been that bright, or he would have known to get a concealed carry permit - that's why they busted him. However, sometimes we just can't outrun our destiny, and, like poor Oedipus, our fate follows us relentlessly - wanna know this soon-to-be-ex-resident's name? Remington!

No comments: