Tuesday, January 6, 2009

What a wonderful world

Everyone's got a tag-line - not just companies and movie stars. Sure, Ahnold had "I'll be back", and Maxwell House was "Good to the last drop", but, in undergrad, my was "Life is good". There have been some rough patches between here and now, to be sure - the perhaps the roughest of my meager 25 years. Nevertheless, a peculiar thought hit me as I listened to the pastor's New Year's Sermon. He spoke about how he was not teaching his children to make resolutions - that trying to do things of their own and failing made it difficult for people to step out in faith when God called them to it. He'd had a heart attack this year, and was bitten by a snake and a spider and, like anyone involved in anything financial, was not the least bit nostalgic about 2008. Understandable - a lot of people were happy to see it go. Now, I have some regrets in my life, but as I sat there in the pew, I realized that there was not a single thing in 2008 that I regretted.

I had begun my official medical education, and had finished 3 semesters with a 3.7 GPA. That was probably due to my abysmal academic record in undergrad, and the fact that I'd taken a year off. According to my mother, it was those low points that kicked me in gear, and started me on the road to achieving things of which I was truly capable.
I am in a great relationship - after much trial and much error, I've found someone who not only makes me happy, but am in a place to appreciate her. This probably would not have been the case if I had not been embroiled in one hellish conflagration of a breakup a little over a year and a half ago.

As I sat there in the pew, I realized that it was my response to my regrets that enabled me to enjoy this year so fully; I guess you could say I learned from my mistakes. That being the case, I guess I wouldn't go back and change anything, even if I could - various chains of events and circumstances have made me who I am right now, as I sit here typing - and not regretting a single thing about 2008. It was a very good year for me. I went to St. Lucia and Buenos Aires while finally learning what I love on a tropical island, and excelling at it. Life is good.
I also love Texas. There are a few things available to me here that probably wouldn't be possible elsewhere. What you see below may look like a ramshackle fencing job, but it is in actuality something you won't find anywhere else - it's our private small-arms range. That's RIGHT - I have a shooting range in my backyard. The day before yesterday, Dad, the boys and I went out and did some target practice with a 9mm. The kick feels good; tearing 8 holes in 2 square inches at 30 feet feels really good - gnats swarming you as you try to concentrate does not feel so good.



Another thing that I love is bonfire night. Years ago, after we first moved into this house, Dad and I dug a little pit in the back, and that was it. Some time later, the neighbors were having construction done, and the workers needed access to more water. We let them use our well in exchange for (1) clearing a running track for us in the backyard, and (2) laying down brick around the fire pit. And so, we save up our Christmas trees and cardboard boxes, and just sit back like Nero sans fiddle, enjoying the burning. I don't know what it is, exactly, but this is one of the most enjoyable, most exciting things, the memory of which instantly takes me back home, wherever I may be.



There's the fire pit, and the new Christmas tree leaning against some sapling (we'll let it dry for a year before tossing it in - the burning tree you see above is from Christmas 2007). See those tiny little canisters? Those are for fireworks - this is another thing I love about the fact that my parents live where they do. Every year, more and more people set them off, and next year, I guess we're going to have to compete a little bit. We normally do 2 canisters each, for a total of 8 (Dad, Stef, Caleb and I) - but next year, we're going to do 4 each. Take that, neighbors.


Funny story: it's a good thing we went through all of the boxes before we tossed them into the fire - we found a forgotten single fireworks charge.

I have much to be thankful for. I've been here for almost 3 weeks now, and will be heading back to the island in time for classes to begin on Monday. I've gotten to do the one thing I'd fantasize about when I got frustrated with schoolwork - playing my little brothers in Halo. I got to read through The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and begin Gene Wolfe's Shadow of the Torturer. (I had to put down Children's Hospital). I've been able to work out every day, and go to movies again (don't waste your time on The Day the Earth Stood still or the Spirit; do see Valkyrie, but don't expect much drama, and do see Body of Lies - and relish the drama). I was supposed to begin reviewing anti-anginal medication and diuretics, but I haven't yet - I may not get around to it, but I'm fine with that - because I'm on vacation right now. When the time comes (in less than a week, actually), I'll throw myself back into the nuances of physical examination, systems based pathology, pharmacology, and the lower circles of Hell (or microbiology, whichever you prefer) with a renewed fire. I can do all this; what's more, I can rock this. I'm not going to brag - all I will say is that I will continue to do my best.

Just a sprinkle of vindication makes my cupcake that much sweeter. Life is good.

No comments: