Saturday, December 13, 2008

Curse

I'm going to go on the record and say that I'm pretty sure that God didn't create any kind of microscopic life intentionally. I doubt there were bacteria and viruses and other parasites - intracellular and extracellular - in the garden of eden. All of that lovely stuff was waiting when Adam and Eve screwed up and were kicked out. What I'm trying to say, is that disease and its vectors must have been part of the curse handed down at the Fall of Man - a curse that still persists today. What I'm trying to say, is that when I sit here, staring at various types of bacteria and viruses, and their various types of resistance, and all of their antivirals and antibiotics (their name is Legion, for they are many) until I want to claw my eyes out - what I'm trying to say, is that it doesn't just feel like I'm being punished, I actually am.

E. Coli. S. aureus. B. Burgdorferi. C. trachomatis. They're invisible demons sent to torment us.
Ciprofloxacin. Methicillin. Doxycyclin. Erythromycin. Sure, they save lives - but right now, they make me want to take a long walk off a short pier.