Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Count it All Joy

"My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience." James 1:2

James threw that in there because he knows I like to complain. Rather than "counting it all joy", I like to throw around words like "asinine". I wallow in sarcasm - saying that, at my most frustrated, this country can be likened to a dumb blonde: it's sure nice to look at, but it's lazy and not quite there (but that's just some latent bitterness talking). Actually, I think I'm just a little cranky because summer's in full swing and I'm dehydrated.

Needless to say, the print center fiasco is not yet fixed. We're still walking out of the library, after printing, to go stand in a line that frequently wraps around the building, and hopefully pick up our printouts. More than once, I've been given someone else's papers. In addition, all of the hole-punchers have been moved onto a little desk outside of the print window, AND there are no functioning staplers. The library staff, since it's "no longer their problem" are overwhelmingly unhelpful. I hate to say it, but that attitude is part of the reason this is still a 3rd world country.

On a happier note, 2nd semester is going great guns already - it's the 4th day of class, and I'm already battling my way through the varied ascending sensory tracts in the spinal cord on one front, and the loop of henle on another front. Here is my new classroom, where the magic happens:


It's not a shabby-looking room - see all of that technology? This room is actually better than the other one because it's a semicircle as opposed just a big long block. But don't let those plasma screens fool you - it's falling apart. Monday morning, my chair broke beneath me.


Anyway, it's taking me a while to get back into the swing of things - I'm excited about the things we're studying (I might actually be coming around; the kidneys aren't that bad), but I still wish I was in St. Lucia. Here's a picture of Ross from the second-floor of the physiology building. It's a nice looking place, but my brain is still on vacation.



This is one of those posts where I don't have a whole lot to say, and just felt that I should keep up appearances. The dissections begin tomorrow - unfortunately I will not be participating (my group isn't scheduled), but I'll go in for the demo of the anterior abdominal wall dissection. That being the case, there isn't too much new reading to do for tomorrow. I'v been doing a lot of reading ahead, but today I'll be able to do nothing but review (and trust me, we've got tons of stuff already), and maybe I'll squeeze in a trip to the gym.

I'm stealing a quote from Nicole. Aldous Huxley said something along the lines of "I know about love, but I know precious little about the kidneys." HA! I say. I know a lot about the kidneys.

On another note, nearly 100,000 people have lost their lives in the Myanmar cyclone and the earthquake in the China's earthquake. What do the headlines on http://www.msnbc.com/ look like?

"Polar bear listed as threatened species."

"Obama welcomes Edwards nod, even if tardy."

"Giant beetle seized at P.A. post office."

......Seriously? No, really....seriously?

No comments: