Thursday, April 23, 2009

Yeesh...

Ok....scratch that....scratch everything I said about paper patients maybe possibly being easy. Mini 3 was today, and I don't know if it was just because I was burned out from having 6 other exams over the past few weeks, but this one was a beast. I've gotten used to reading through a question and being able to recall not only which professor wrote it, but which lecture it came from, which course packet, and even which slide - I can usually recall the notes I've written on my second and third read-throughs. This time, the questions were damn near all nebulous and ambiguous. Some of them were just plain surprises. Part of me wonders, though, if, after taking hundred and hundreds of questions from the mighty NBME, I'm just dealing with a significantly lower quality of question writing. All in all, though, it wasn't absolutely terrible, and if anything, the beastliness of this exam is a prelude to the Comp and the Step.

I always feel like Dante after a semester - climbing out of Hell on Easter Morning. This time, though, I'm not just climbing out of the academic hell, but I'm leaving the island. That's not to say that Dominica is hell - far be it from me to suggest such a thing - but I'm ready to go. I've been ready to go for a while - I can't wait to be back in the states. It was a good run, I suppose; this whole island thing was good for me - I got a lot of positive things out of this. If I had the chance to do it all over again, I would - actually my answer to that question is dependent on how far back I can go. Nevertheless, I can give this soon-to-be-closed chapter of my life a thumbs-up.

Adios, Dominica. Soon.

No comments: