Saturday, April 25, 2009

Dominica Farewell

How do I say this......It's not you.....it's me. I take my leave of you now, Dominica. I'm going away tomorrow, and I truly can't say if we'll ever see each again. Things were a little tense between us the last few weeks - as I studied for a relentless horde of tests, and your reggae clubs pumped music across the bay long into the night, frequently disturbing my slumber. Nevertheless, I'll look back fondly upon our time together; everything's nice in hindsight, right? I'm sorry...that was a little harsh. Even as I packed my bags and ran around on errands - returning the propane tank and case of empty Kubuli bottles, picking up Dramamine for the airport ride, and giving away things I can't take with me to people I've gotten to know - I started to become a little nostalgic. I'm sure the stress of all the studying made me a little short with you, Dominica - I'm sorry for cursing about you when I couldn't concentrate; I know that it wasn't always your fault. The lowing of the cattle couldn't be helped, and the people need their midnight reggae, right? I guess it doesn't really matter - I just want to apologize for likening you to one of the lower circles of hell - I didn't really mean it. Our time together was very special to me, but it's just time for us to move on, you know? I've got to get back to the states for 5th semester and all. I mean, I tried to stay, Dominica - you know that; but the powers that be stationed me elsewhere. And what with the talk of the possible resurgence of your legendary volcanic temper, I think it's a good time for me to move on anyway, don't you? I knew that it was probably time to move on when, as I was studying for the first of the shelves, you got angry and caused a minor earthquake. I didn't tell anyone about it...I mean it was something we had to work through, right?

I will miss you - let's face it, Dominica, you're easy on the eyes; what you lack in substance and sophistication, you make up for in natural beauty. It's no wonder they call you Waitu Kubuli - "Tall is her body". Yesterday, somewhere in between packing and procrastinating, after the gym, I walked around snapping pictures of you - just for the memories, you know. If it's any consolation, I'm not going to Miami because she's prettier - it's just that she has what I need in my life right now. And before you know it, there'll be a whole new crop of first semesters, and you'll forget all about me. Really...it's for the best.







Don't be like that, Dominica - you're more than just a pretty face. I came to embrace your culture and your people. Here's a picture of Nelson's Grill house - this is where I ate every single day I was on campus, and some when I wasn't. I'd leave class for lunch, and order spicy chicken with rice and salad, and it was fantastic, Dominica. Whenever I'd come back to Nelson's after being away between semesters, it always made me realize how much I'd missed it. No, I'm not just saying that to be nice - I really loved the chicken. None of the other food really called to me. I've already shown pictures of Addison's juice stalls - that's one thing you take the prize in Dominica; you have the best juice I've tasted anywhere. See? That's something I'll never forget about you - and your sunset are always amazing - they're never the same, but I've taken so many pictures of those, and the beaches that form your body, that I just didn't feel the need to post anymore here.

I'm sorry it has to be this way, Dominica, but it's for the best, trust me. Both of us will be happier this way. If you want me to be brutally honest about it, you're a little too third-world for me. I've enjoyed your beauty, but I won't miss the cows, the lizards everywhere, the bugs - and Miami is just a little more sophisticated. She'll mentally stimulate me a little more, but I don't see Miami and I staying together forever either; you know how I am. I've set myself on this professional course, and I'm going to have to keep moving around - it wouldn't have worked out. This doesn't have to be goodbye forever though - I still haven't seen your boiling lake, or done all of the hiking I can do. So you see? At least we're leaving on a pretty good note, right? We may yet see each other again, sometime in the future (though in my heart I doubt it. Sorry.) I do want to thank you, though - you were always so relaxed and understanding - sometimes too relaxed, but I wouldn't try to change you. I'll never forget you, Dominica - as frustrated as I was at times, you'll always hold a special little place in my memories. I know I've been a little harsh in this, but I will miss you. Miami's fast paced and can be a little unrefined too - at some point, I may wish that things could have been different, but I won't change my mind on this.

As we sat out on Nicole's balcony last night, drinking rum and wine (separately, of course) and chatting about the future, Dominica, you threw a star into the sea. It was like no shooting star I'd ever seen - a faint, luminescent streak against the black silk sky - rather, this was more forceful. It burned bright white as it fell, appearing for all the world like heavy-duty fireworks flying in reverse. It then flared to a brilliant green, lighting up the night sky, and finally it burst into an angry, fiery red, before plunging behind the clouds over the sea, and disappearing into nothingness. Dominica, is that your way of saying you'll miss me too?
Sincerely,
Farley

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hahaha i love your break-up speech to Dominica its great. sounds like the kinda thing someone would read in a dramatic one act play or something....you should seriously write some things to get published son.