Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Truth stranger than fiction

There are a lot of interesting, though surely negative ramifications that will arise like some hideous zombie-phoenix from the ashes of our economy. For instance, I shudder to think of what will happen with health care, especially when malpractice caps meet defensive medicine head-on. as another example, the sudden suicidality of financiers is hardly surprising. There's this one story, though, straight out of Beijing (again), that, while probably entirely due to the economic downturn, sounds like the plot to some campy Lifetime made-for-TV movie.

So there's this married businessman with five mistresses. He gives them all cash allowances, and pays for their living arrangements. Sweet deal, right? Well, the economy goes belly-up, and this guy decides he has to cut back to just one mistress (plus the wife, I'm assuming). So, true to our reality show culture, he stages a talent contest to decide which of his lovelies get the boot - ranking them on singing, looks, etc. Anyway, the first one kicked off is the epitome of a woman scorned; she lures the whole polygamous crew into her car under the pretense of a sightseeing trip before returning to her home province - and drives the car off of a mountain. Ironically, she killed only herself; everyone else was just injured. Here's the story.

That's it. I have no medical addendum to that little tidbit. I can, however, say, that if you're a retired show-chimp, you should probably lay off the Xanax (a benzodiazepine sedative). I don't even know where to start on that one, but I'm sure that if I were to look back into my notes somewhere, I'd come across some very rare cases in which new mothers went crazy after taking some sedatives (I'll see if I can find it for you). I'm just sitting here, taking a break from studying all things gastrointestinal (pathology and microbiology, etc), and was so surprised at all of the interesting news today, I just had to share.

No comments: