Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Another test complete

On Monday, we had our first test of third semester - and I have to say, I was a little surprised. We have 5 credits worth of behavioral science this semester, and I figured that, with my major in psychology, I'd have a far easier time with this subject than anything else. For one thing, I didn't pay enough attention to epidemiology - I'm pretty sure I did alright, but if there was anything this exam reinforced, it was that Behavioral science is not just B.S. Also, there was blistering ambiguity on the part of those professors charged with constructing questions to test our knowledge of early childhood development. Granted, it's more of a soft science, but writing a decent question shouldn't be that difficult. So, strangely, by the end of the first twenty questions, I found myself craving some pharmacology or pathology. Both of those went very well, I think - I know I missed at least one pharm question, but only because I took it too literally. Pathology was nice to us - they were fair. Micro and immuno, however, though they were fair, obfuscated the questions unnecessarily, I thought. All told, I think it went well.

The night of the mini is always a big party night. I distinctly remember growing too old to party like a 20 year-old - I was at some frat party during my junior year of undergrad, and suddenly just felt very old, and very out of place. So, I didn't join in the revelry. I did, however, go to the Beach bash - a cookout/t-shirt giveaway/party on the beach - and am still wondering why, whenever t-shirts are ordered (1) they never fit and (2) they never order enough. That night, Nicole and I took some time off to relax and went to see a showing of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Much of the filming was done at Yale, and I was pleasantly surprised to see streets I'd walked a hundred times, and I'm pretty sure they even showed several buildings I lived in. When all was said and done, though, it was bit far-fetched. Ark-robbing Nazi? I can deal with that. Finding the Holy Grail? Sure, why not. I kind of have to draw the line when it comes to aliens, though.

I thought I'd add this follow-up, on that double-arm transplant for the German farmer - he's doing well and is learning to use his new appendages. This is one of those things that's just absolutely fascinating.

No comments: