Sunday, August 8, 2010

Astoria Park

Yesterday, after finally getting the internet situation squared away, Nicole and I decided to take another walk down to Astoria Park. We'd been there before, after the gym, but this time we went with the cameras and meandered quite a bit farther. They've got a gigantic swimming pool - I hear it's one of it not the largest in the US. I'll point it out below, but first, here is a general view of Astoria.




I'm embarrassed to be presenting relatively few reliable facts. For example, I believe this to be the East River, though I'm not sure. Also, I do not know for sure that the city across the river is the upper east side of Manhattan. And as to the name of this blue bridge, I haven't the foggiest.


This, however, is the Hell Gate Bridge - I figured that out from the bar next to it. This bridge and its massive pylons were the things I wanted to return to the park to photograph.


Here is a view of the blue bridge (which I've just learned to be named for Robert Kennedy) overlooking the park, beyond the Hell Gate.


Here's a glimpse through the trees of the blue bridge and the aforementioned giant pool. (I suppose that much is obvious; it's just such a nice picture that I felt I should say something).






After walking through the park, we decided to go see Inception - since, with every passing day, more and more people tell me how great it is. So, after a nice steak dinner, we hopped on the N train, following the advice from the Blackberry's google-maps application which, until now, had been reliable. It neglected to mention, however, that certain trains on the weekend run on an express route, and so we overshot the initial stop by a few streets. Once we'd wended our way back and made it to the theater, the movie was sold out. Nicole didn't want to wait 2 hours for the next one, and so we wandered around Queens. Finally, we caught another train back and stopped in a little pastry shop for dessert. The red velvet cake left nothing to be desired.

No comments: