Friday, July 2, 2010

Upstream

I've got another month left in my internal medicine rotation, and I've got to find housing for psychiatry. I'm still enjoying this - on the one hand, the ICU and the cath lab are places I could sit around all day, soaking everything up. On the other hand, I'd like to be able to actually do something, but I don't really know enough to do anything. All of my learning up until this point was directed at an outpatient setting. My OB rotation was a blessing, because I got to do so much.

I've decided that, during my fourth year clerkships, I'm going to spend a lot of time in the ICU.

Everything kind of hinges on surgery then, doesn't it? I'm eagerly anticipating the madness.

I second the wishes of my current attending; I wish there were 48 hours in every day. I almost wish that this was all done so I could just throw myself into something, rather than trying to cover things broadly. However, I still feel, sometimes, as if I don't know anything useful.

I went on a run today, down to Southpoint along the Boardwalk. This has, over the past few months, become my favorite route - it's a little over 5 miles round trip between the beach and Ocean Drive. I'd gotten about a quarter of the way when it started to rain, and by the time I was halfway done, it was torrential. I was sloshing through ankle-deep water at several points, and ducking under random awnings to listen for thunder at others. This, I shall miss.

No comments: