Thursday, March 6, 2008

Darkness

An interesting thing happened to me last night, that really made me realize that I'm in an entirely different country. Nicole and I had just finished a hard day's work of studying at our favorite study space, and were heading back home. Quite suddenly and shockingly, everything went black - literally, profoundly black. We were suddenly plunged into such an utter, complete, stygian blackness that I was stunned for a moment. After a few moments of shock, I had to look up at the stars to see that I actually hadn't been struck blind. Everywhere around us had been plunged into a blackout of such impenetrable and complete darkness that the two or three seconds in between the actual blackout and the automatic engagement of the emergency generators seemed to drag on forever.

Blackouts in America aren't like that - there's always a streetlight living off of city power, or perhaps the other side of the road remains lit - at the very least there are car headlights somwhere - but never before in my life have I see it as dark as this. I didn't know the world could be that dark. Anotehr interesting thing is hat it was aboslutely silent as well - no sound, no light at all. Everything just very suddenly went very still and dark. I thought it was pretty cool, actually

In other news, I have a histology lab practical a week from today, and then, a week from Monday, we'll have our second big exam. I've come to realized that this is going to be all I do for quite a few years to come, and so I've enlisted my little brother to watch movies and read books, that I might live vicariously through him (as you may think you're doing through me, here on this warm, Caribbean island, taking pictures of brilliant sunsets. What you don't know is that I have my nose in my nose half the time, and the other half of the tim I'm splitting it between class and the anatomy lab).

Speaking of which, I had the pleasure of dissecting out the anterior leg yesterday, and it just wasn't as cool as it had been before -perhaps the lab has lost its luster. After a while, muscle looks like muscle. It is, however, a little humbling and surprising to realize that, after searching the whole time for the dorsalis pedis, it's right there on the top of the foot where it ought to be (and was just pretending to be a nerve). I should have followed it down from behind tibialis anterior like they suggested, but oh well - you live and you learn.

No comments: