Monday, February 25, 2008

I spoke too soon!

So you know how, in my last post, I'd kind of downed Dominica, saying that there wasn't really anything special about the Nature Isle? Well, as I was walking to the upper deck (after a pizza-lunch at Perky's), I saw the coolest thing since the the Dirtfish on the Cabrits - check out this gigantic iguana! For some reason, seeing this just lifts my spirits - when I was a kid, I had this fascination with gigantic lizards (mostly dinosaurs, like all kids), but this is by far the biggest lizard I've seen in the wild, close enough to touch. I mean, look at that guy! Ok, Ok - I take it back; this island does have some cool stuff. I'll name a few: I can eat mangos every day, the beach is a few feet from my room, and there's a gigantic iguana sitting somewhere in the tree in front of me. Funny - it's a mango tree. If I was an iguana, I guess I'd hang out on the beach in mango trees too.

I'm really going to have to work hard on this semester; I've kind of been scared into reality by seeing that last exam - the level of detail permeates everything. I thought blood was really interesting, but we're kind of done with it for a while - today we were lectured on hemoglobin genes and basic neurology (which I know I'm going to enjoy). So, today's going to deal with a lot of reading - anatomy, biochemistry, histology, and I'm going to hope that, somehow, entire biochemical pathways, rather than just random (possibly useless) snippets of information stick in my head.

No comments: